A town in distress! The trials begin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A town in distress! The trials begin

Post by Arata Mizushima on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:16 pm

After a week or so of sailing the duo arrived at Orange Town without much trouble. Rina clearly still wasn’t used to travelling by boat but she didn’t complain as it was also a new journey for her. Besides, they both had good company so the time passed pleasantly. They definitely got closer to each other in that short amount of time. Arata docked the boat and tied it to a post before they both got out and stretched out. The boat wasn’t exactly comfortable as there was just enough space for two people so it was a much needed stretch. While they were still sailing Rina changed her clothes and now she was wearing a black dress that had sleeves that reached her wrists and a skirt that reached her knees. As for the lower half, she was wearing tights and some shoes that fit well.

She then spoke up,’You really tried hard with this dress. It’s made of quite good material too so it must have been pretty expensive. Though I wonder, how did you know my size?’ Arata then smiled at her,’Uhh…call it male instinct.’ She chuckled at this,’I see. Now it all makes sense. I’m sure that the clothes I was wearing at the time didn’t make your task any easier. Honestly, thank you for this dress. I love it. However, I will be quite sad if it was to get cut up in a fight or something.’ He nodded at that,’Now that you say it…it would be quite a waste if that were to happen. I can buy you new clothes and this time you can choose the ones you like.’ Rina sighed at his answer,’Hearing that does make me happy but I don’t want you to spend so much on me. We have limited funds and besides if you spend it all on me how will we ever buy a ship?’ Obviously, she was very much right. To go to the Grand Line they needed a ship which definitely wasn’t cheap. Furthermore, if their crew was to grow then he would definitely not be able to spend so much on each individual member. However, at the same time for now it was only the two of them so he wanted to spoil her a bit while he still had the opportunity. This way it might make her think about other things than her past though he knew that money would not solve such problems.

They headed out to town and looked around for a while but it turned out that the town wasn’t actually that special and there wasn’t much to see. Apparently, this town wasn’t actually that old so it wasn’t very developed. It was nowhere near the size and quality of Goa City but it sure beat the lowly Syrup Village. As they walked around they looked from building to building and one of them caught their attention in particular,’They have a pet food shop here…but not a pet store? That seems a bit of a weird business idea. Why would someone buy pet food if they didn’t have pets.’ Arata looked at it and thought the same thing,’Yea, that seems very weird. The store looks pretty closed to me though. As if no one has been in it for a few years. Would you want a pet?’ Rina paused in thought,’Maybe if I settle down in the future. Having a pet while travelling like this would not be good for them or me.

That seemed like a reasonable way of thinking,’It’s a bit too early to think about settling down. Out of curiosity though, where would you like to settle down?’ She simply shrugged at this,’I’m sure we will find something that I like along our journey. Maybe if we keep visiting towns I might just get used to that kind of life though I don’t need any luxury as long as I am happy. What about you? You have a home to return to. Would you go back there?’ Arata also thought about it and he honestly didn’t know. They were still young so for now all he thought about was adventuring,’Who knows? Maybe for a visit or something but maybe not to stay. Also, is there really an option of me settling down anyway? I’m a pirate so I will probably be chased for the rest of my life.’ Rina looked at him with a sad smile,’I guess you have a point. The same goes for me too I guess. I’m also a pirate now. Anyway, let’s not think about that right now. We have our whole future ahead of us.’ The pirate nodded and they kept walking to try to see and see everything. Even though it wasn’t as developed as Goa City there was something more to it. He found it hard to describe what it exactly was. Something like the atmosphere or the mood of the area? It was definitely quite odd and he never felt anything like this before.

Wanting to gather information they went to the bar which was surprisingly empty. There were no other pirates in site and there were only a few locals here and there. They surely didn’t seem to be enjoying themselves. Arata and Rina went up to the counter to get what they need but even though it seemed like they had the attention of the bartender he did not speak. It looked like he would need to take the initiative,’Can I have two steaks please? One for her and one for me. Some water to go along with it would be nice too. I’m also looking for some information.’ Arata paid up and the bartender took it and gave them each a glass and a pitcher of water before he started making the steaks,’What do you want to know?

The pirate responded,’Just rumours in general about what’s going on in the world. Some information about this town would be appreciated too.’ It seemed that in a situation like this Rina left it all to him but he didn’t mind,’There isn’t much I can tell you. Apparently, recently some pirate wrecked havoc in Shells Town and killed all the marines there. Sometime later some kind of blue fiery bird was seen leaving the island. You won’t hear about this in the newspapers since it would ruin the reputation of the marines. As for the town, there isn’t much to say to begin with. It is what you see. The town hasn’t existed long enough to have some kind of special history.’ The part about the pirate definitely interested him. A pirate goes in and a fiery bird comes out. He doubted that it was something that the marines kept at their base. It must have been to do with his abilities though it wasn’t any kind of ability he heard about before. Perhaps it was a Devil Fruit? He probably wouldn’t know unless they met in person but he was still interested. He was a bit disappointed that they weren’t told anything about the town. It felt more like the bartender didn’t want to tell them rather than he didn’t know. It was definitely odd and something that they might have to investigate.

WC: 1,204
Arata Mizushima

Race : Human
Class : Brute
Power : 59
Strength : 100
Stamina : 80
Speed : 71
Energy : 80
Perception : 72

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A town in distress! The trials begin

Post by Arata Mizushima on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:36 am

The two of them ate their meal in silence though it was not because they didn’t have anything to talk about. It was that the bar was so empty that anything that they would say would be heard and they didn’t exactly want that as it would be awkward. At least the food was good so they could enjoy that without the need to talk. Once they were finished Arata asked the bartender,’Are there any rooms that we could rent?’ The bartender replied without much of an interest,’This isn’t an inn or a tavern so we don’t really have rooms but there is one that I could give you. It only has one bed though.’ He looked at Rina for confirmation and she smiled,’I’m sure you would like that, wouldn’t you?’ He scratched his head and looked away,’We’ll take that then. We don’t know how long we will be stay so we will pay each day.’ The bartender seemed fine with that so they had a deal. After sleeping one the boat for a week any kind of bed would be very welcome but the floor would have to do too. It would probably be more comfortable than the planks in the boat so either way the comfort would increase.

Being done with their meal they headed out again as they had no stuff that needed dropping off in the room,’So what do you want to do now?’ Rina thought for a moment,’Hmm, how about we check out the market? Maybe we will find something good?’ It was a better idea than none so he nodded,’Sure, sounds good.’ They headed towards the main town square where the market stalls were and briefly looked around the stalls. The majority of it was various food, most of which was best fresh, there was also some clothing and other minor items. It was a general market that suited a town like this, not too much and not too little. It didn’t take them long to see but soon they noticed that at one of the stalls there was some kind of commotion so they headed over to look. Some man in red uniform was shouting at both the customer and stall owner. The customer was accused of stealing by the man while they stall owner was accused of not paying enough taxes. Of course, the three of them didn’t agree with each other so it turned into a big argument. The customer claimed not to have stolen anything and tried to prove that he paid for everything but the stall owner was too busy trying to deal with his own argument.

More men in uniform came over and some of them were armed with various weapons turning it into an even bigger argument. He didn’t know who was right or wrong but it was clearly escalating by the moment,’I have a feeling this won’t end well.’ He nodded and then he saw that one of the uniformed men reached for his halberd and swung at the customer. There was no time to think. In what seemed to be an instant the customer fell to the floor and a cling of steel against steel could be heard. The people gathered around were in shock. The customer was on the floor because Arata pushed him out of the way and quickly drew his sword to block the attack,’Who are you!?’ The pirate grinned,’I could ask you the same thing. Leave them alone.’ The uniformed man seemed to get even angrier,’You don’t have any right to tell me what to do. If you resist you will be taken along with them.’ He chuckled at this,’I’d like to see you try.’ They were both pushing their weapons trying to overwhelm each other but they seemed to be getting no where. Arata then put more force into his sword and pushed back the man causing him to stagger. He was wide open for an attack. The pirate was about to swing at him, not to kill but to teach him a lesson, but before he could he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked back to see that it was Rina who shook her head at him. He sheathed his sword and the men seemed to back off though with large displeasure.

The customer got up and looked at him,’Are you a traveller?’ He nodded,’Of some sort, yes. Why ask?’ The customer seemed to be a bit scared even though he was saved just now,’I appreciate you saving me but you shouldn’t have done that. You will get in trouble.’ Arata didn’t understand why but either way he wouldn’t just look away when someone was in danger,’Why? Shouldn’t the priority of any settlement be the safety of its citizens?’ A thick tension built up as soon as he asked that question. Some people got disheartened and started going about their lives again. The customer answered him shortly,’Things are a bit different in our town…’ It definitely looked like it that was for sure,’I want to know more.’ The customer was unsure if he should tell him or not but spoke anyway,’Come to my house for some tea. I’ll tell you there.’ Arata looked to Rina who nodded and they followed the man.

His home wasn’t a special or anything but it did feel quite cosy nonetheless. They sat down around a table as he served the tea,’So will you tell us? The bartender didn’t want to tell us anything so maybe you will.’ He hesitantly nodded,’Our town was previously occupied by a group of clown pirates but then they were driven out by another pirate. From that moment on we were free and things got better in town. People became happier and the town started developing again. This lasted for around 3 years until a certain man came. He is a half blooded Noble but that’s a half more than any of us. He drove out our previous mayor and now he is the mayor himself. Ever since then the taxes are ridiculously high and there are so many laws that you can’t so much as sneeze without being suspected of breaking a law. We tried to protest but the mayor then set up his own guards. They were the red uniformed men that you saw. So we had no other choice but to live oppressed. It’s been like that for quite some time now. If you stay here for too long they will probably try to get the most out of you that they can. We would like you to remember this place as positively as possible but I’m afraid that may be a bit hard right now.

This explained everything as to why the town was this way. What he felt and saw earlier was that people were gloomy, as if they had nothing to be happy about, they were scared that the guards might accuse them of something unless they behave innocent. That probably didn’t work a lot of the time. He definitely wouldn’t want to live in such a town but the people didn’t have any choice. Where would they go? This was their home and yet they couldn’t change anything.

Evening came soon and eventually Arata and Rina returned to their room. The pirate laid down on the bed and the girl sat beside him. Both were in silence as they thought about what they were told,’What do you think we should do?’ Rina didn’t look at him as she answered,’This isn’t our battle. We don’t have any right to get involved in the struggles of a town that we don’t live in. We are outsiders. We are pirates.’ As usual she was right. What could they accomplish on their own? Why would they try to change something that doesn’t affect them? This was merely another stop on their journey. A town that they probably wouldn’t ever return to,’That is true.’ Rina then let out a sigh,’And yet…from the perspective of the people wouldn’t they want someone to save them? Someone that can do the things that they can’t. Even if they are outsiders. It happened before so it could happen again. You want to save them, don’t you?’ He kept looking at the ceiling,’I do.’ She looked down at the floor,’Me too. If this was my village I would definitely want to be saved.’ Arata let out a sigh,’I was supposed to show you the good in the world and yet your first stop is far from good.’ She looked at him,’That’s a very hard task, you know. The world is an evil place so finding a ‘good’ place is almost impossible. Each island has its own struggles and it always will. One thing for sure is that I can definitely see the good in you.’ She said the last part with a smile which he returned.

Afterwards, they talked a bit more and prepared to sleep: Rina on the bed and Arata on the floor,’Are you sure you don’t want to join me? I don’t want to be having such a luxury while you sleep on the floor. You are the Captain after all so you need to be in top condition. In this circumstance, I will allow it. I’m sure we can fit somehow. However, you should know that if you do try something then I will stab you.’ Kindness followed up with a threat. Not something you see everyday so it made him chuckle,’Nah, honestly I’m fine plus with the bedding it isn’t that bad.’ Earlier on he asked the bartender if they could have some extra bedding since he would be sleeping on the floor. This resulted in him getting something similar to a Japanese futon. It was better than nothing so he did appreciate it,’Alright then. If you say so. Good night.’ Arata blew out the candle and got in his bedding,’Good night.’ With that, he rolled over to his right side and fell asleep.

WC: 1,660
Arata Mizushima

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arata Mizushima on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 am

The next morning, they woke up like normal but yesterday’s discussion was still on their minds. They still didn’t know what to do. However, forcing themselves to think of a plan would not got them anywhere so they went about it normally and went to have breakfast. Just like yesterday the bar was empty and the only person apart from them was the bartender,who also was pretty uninterested about what was going on, who served them their scrambled egg.

Arata then whispered to Rina,’A good start would be to get an audience with the mayor.’ Rina shook her head,’Logically speaking,yes. However, we are outsiders. I doubt he would listen to us.’ He agreed with her as he thought about that already,’I know but surely he wouldn’t refuse an offering,right?’ The girl thought about this and nodded,’Most likely but you heard how high he put the taxes. If he charges us that same amount then we won’t be able to afford it. We need the money.’ She was right about that. If they did pay then they wouldn’t have enough money for anything else, thus ending their journey. The most likely situation though would be that the price would be too high to begin with leaving them with no means to negotiate. Their options were very limited. Changing his mind would also be a very hard task. They had no political influence or any kind of influence for that matter. They were just two passing pirates.

Once they were done, they paid up what they were due and left the bar since sitting in one place was not the point of their journey and maybe some fresh air will help them think,’Let’s go check out the boat to make sure nobody stole it or something. It doesn’t hurt to be careful.’ Rina agreed to this and walked along with him,’Stealing a boat is much easier than stealing a ship but the possibility is always there as long as you leave your vessel unattended.’ Arata agreed with her,’Yup and if we were to lose our boat then we would lose all our things together with it. Even though leaving the chest there is quite risky but dragging it everywhere with me wouldn’t exactly help either.'

As they walked they now noticed the red uniformed guards everywhere about the town. They were there before but now they were ‘aware’ of them. Surprisingly enough, there wasn’t a single marine in sight. Maybe they avoided this island because they knew what sort of problem it had? What was happening here wasn’t exactly a threat to the World Government or anything so that was very possible. They ‘served the people’ and yet they were so corrupt. He was truly glad that he didn’t become a marine.

After a short walk they arrived in the port so Arata checked up on the boat while Rina stood watch,’Is everything there?’ He nodded and locked the chest,’Yup. You don’t need to worry so much. If they wanted it they would steal it and then open it rather than take a few items. Besides, does this boat really look like it has amazing loot?’ She chuckled,’Can’t argue with that, can I?’ The checkup was done so they could go back but as soon as he got out of the boat some guards gathered,’Is that your boat?’ He nodded,’Yes, what about it?’ Rina got closer to him as she was on guard. The uniformed man answered,’By the law of our town all travellers must pay a docking fee for their vessel. Not doing so will result in punishment.’ They were outnumbered three to one,’How much is the fee?’ The mana answered still showing his authority,’10,000 Beli.’ The duo was shocked to hear that price. It was outrageous. A few hundred would be normal if it was a requirement but in most places docking was free. Even more so when all they had was a small boat.

He nudged Rina so that she would prepare herself,’Well, unfortunately we don’t have that much on us. Is there something else we can pay with?’ The guard let out a sigh,’A week of community service doing heavy labour or you could let us have some fun with your pretty companion.’ They all let out a laugh but he sure as hell didn’t find it funny,’No deal.’ They all frowned and got their weapons,’Then pay with your life!’ Arata unsheathed his sword and Rina daggers to engage them in combat. He parred the first strike but the other two positioned himself behind him so as to surround him. Rina was much more of an agile type than he was so she handled dodging their attacks pretty well but because the reach of the daggers was short she was having problems with going on the offensive. Arata got by with parrying their attacks but getting attacked from all sides wasn’t easy to manage. He cut down one the guard in front of him while he turned around to deal with the other two. The both attacked him at once so Arata deflected their attacks with a single swing and hit one of them in the face with the hilt of his sword. He was about to beat the last one but then he was grabbed from behind and got him in a lock.

Unable to do anything the guard that was still standing punched him in the stomach and then the face a couple of time. Since he couldn’t use his arms then he would use his feet. To do this Arata used the guard that had him in a lock as support and kicked the guard in front of him. Next he headbutted the guard in a lock in order to release himself. None of them were giving up but they could only rely on themselves. The fight continued for a while but they were beginning to get tired so one of the guards got a bottle that was standing on the port and smashed it against the back of the pirate’s head. Involuntarily, his body lost balance and fell to the floor while his vision became somewhat dizzy.

Weapons were pointed at his head. He couldn’t get up. Meanwhile, Rina saw this and also had no choice to surrender,’That’s wasn’t worth it, was it?’ They took both his swords and picked him up,’You are under arrest for not paying the docking fee and assaulting guards. You won’t be let off easy.’ Rina looked at him scared and tears were beginning to form in her eyes. What would happen now? What will they do to him and her? He was less worried about himself and more about Rina. As her Captain, it was his duty to protect her. There was no telling what they would do to her. He didn’t want her to suffer anymore. All of these thoughts were running through his head. His heart was beating so fast that he could hear it in his ears. He felt every single beat. Arata tried to resist, he had to, but it was no use. The guards knocked him out and then everything went black. The last things his eyes saw was Rina falling to her knees in defeat.

WC: 1,203
Arata Mizushima

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arata Mizushima on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:53 am

When he woke up Arata found himself to be in a cell with his hands tightly tied by rope to the point where he could barely feel his hands and his wrists felt as if they were about to be crushed. He looked outside the bars to try to find out where he was but it was too dark to know for sure. However, this didn’t seem to be a proper prison as there was a lot of boxes scattered around which probably meant this was more of a warehouse,’Looks like the halfblooded Noble can’t even afford a proper prison with the money that he rips off from the people.’ He sat back on the ground and let out a sigh. One thing for certain is that there was no way out so at least that was successful. He was happy to still be alive but worry was eating at him. What happened to Rina? Was she okay? What did they do with her while he was here? He was scared of all the possibilities that came to his mind. He let out a sigh. There was nothing he could do. He was unarmed and engaging in hand to hand combat with armed enemies was just asking to get killed. The pirate had no choice but to wait for an opportunity to escape of fight back somehow. He wasn’t going to let them have their way with him.

After some time passed, a guard came in to see him,’Where is Rina and what did you do to her?’ The rest would sort itself out somehow but that was the first thing that he had on his mind. The guard looked down at him as if he was vermin,’I don’t remember giving you permission to speak.’ The guard opened the cell door and dragged him out to another wide space though this time it was well lit and there were no boxes around.  A lot of the guards were gathered in a circle in this large room and he was in the center of it. One thing that stood out was a single blond man wearing quite high-quality clothes. There was only one person that it could be,’Is that him? Looks like an ordinary brat to me.’ Arata looked at him angrily,’So you’re the reason behind all this. You will pay for what you did to this town. Count your days!’ The mayor chuckled,’How amusing. Go on guys, let’s see what he is really made of.’ With that the guards gave plenty of space and one of them came out while preparing for a fight. Arata’s hands were tied and he was unarmed but he wouldn’t go down without a fight. Luckily, his opponent was also unarmed but that might not last long.

His opponent swung at him with a right hook but Arata side stepped to avoid it. Even if his hands were bound he still had his speed and instinct. The pirate clenched his hands into a fist and swung from left to right at the guard’s face and then from right to left followed by a knee to the stomach. One guard down twenty-four more to go. Another one came in and the second fight started. Individually, Arata could take them on but when they grouped up is where the problem started. The fist fights continued while the guards were getting beaten one by one but Arata kept taking hits too. His body was in pain from all the punches he took but he could still keep going for a while,’Impressive. Even with your hands tied and body beaten you keep fighting. This is just the beginning though. Let the real show begin.’ The next guard that came out to fight him was wielding a sword. Bad just became worse. All of them were laughing and started cheering, not for Arata obviously, as the fight began. The pirate tried to dodge the attacks best as he could but it was no use as he was still getting cut. He was at a disadvantage when it came to range. His left arm, right shoulder, left leg and cheek were all cut. The wounds hurt more than any punch that he received so far. However, by the looks of it they didn’t want to kill him just yet but no one said anything about seriously wounding.

The battle continued and but each next opponent came in armed with a sword and the number of wounds he had kept increasing. He was beginning to reach his limit but more and more guards kept coming as if there was no end to them. At least he was getting better at dodging thanks to this. Eventually, the guard decided to do a high swing that was aimed at his head. This was his opportunity. He stepped back so that his body was out of reach but instead he put out his tied hands. The rope was cut. His hands were free. Before the guard could return to his stance Arata reached for his sword hand with his left hand and with his elbow he launched an attack to the guard’s face, effectively disarming him. The sword was now his. It was time to strike back.

This alerted the guards and they started coming in twos but now that Arata had a weapon he could go full out. Anyone who served and supported the mayor was an enemy. The pirate cut them down one by one but more still kept coming so he picked up another sword to use in his left hand. He never tried dual wielding before so it would probably be pretty clumsy and his left arm attacks would be weaker but what mattered right now was to do as much damage as possible. He disposed of the guards in front of him and then swung full force at the guards that were guarding the mayor. With such a strong force the guards fell to the ground thus opening the way for him. The mayor’s face turned into terror and with a scream he started running away. Arata leapt up to catch up to him and stabbed him in the back. Unfortunately, he didn’t get his heart but at the very least the side was still a lethal wound if it wasn’t treated fast enough.

The guards went into a fury and dragged him away. He watched the fate of the mayor as he was beat without any mercy. The mayor was taken away, presumably to a hospital, meaning that his task had failed and then he lost consciousness from all the beating. His pain didn’t end there however. Oh no, it was far from over. Soon after he regained consciousness he was dragged out again only to be severely whipped to the point where his back couldn’t touch anything because it would cause him even more extreme pain. He was now considered ‘a threat to the town and its peace’ but mostly to the mayor who got treated and was now recovering.

Due to Arata’s body being so wounded the next fight he had were so much harder with even one punch causing him so much pain that he might pass out. He didn’t know how long this would continue. He didn’t want to know either as to not completely break down. He didn’t know what was going outside either and he was still worried about Rina and what happened to her. All of this continued for three days straight until on the midnight of the third day a guard came up to his cell doors,’It has been decided. You will be executed tomorrow afternoon.’ Saying so the guard turned around and left him alone once again. Will this short journey come to an abrupt end? He led a good life and didn’t have a bounty on his head or never committed a crime. Yet here he was, sentenced to be executed by a greedy tyrant who desired power,’This world is wrong. There is no hope.

WC: 1,336

Nitoryu Learned
Arata Mizushima

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arata Mizushima on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:37 pm

The day of the execution has come. Arata was in pain, starving, exhausted and he barely got any sleep the past few days. He had nothing to look forward to anyway but this was not what he imaged his final days would be like. The only good thing was that today the guards didn’t do anything to him. In his mind, he was still worried about Rina and what happened to her. This was the first island that she came to with him and it was his second island overall.

Since he was stuck inside, it was very hard to tell the time but it was clear that three days have passed and this was the fourth. Yet, it felt like an eternity had passed. He did get the feeling that he took a lot of things for granted. The pirate came to understand that he should appreciate things more while he can. However, it was not a bit too late. His fate was to be executed. Even though it was short, he enjoyed his life and journey.

The time was close. Guards came to his cell and opened it. Handcuffs were put on him to prevent the rope incident that happened last time and he was blindfolded. They led him out of the warehouse though it took a bit longer since he couldn’t see where he was going leading to him stumbling a few times here and there. For the first time in three days, Arata could feel the breeze of the wind on his skin. He couldn’t see the sky but he felt that the weather wasn’t as good as it was since it was colder. On the other hand, maybe it was because his clothes were all ripped up and especially his shirt. They kept walking and eventually they brought him up to some platform though it was only 5 steps so nothing too high.

There was complete silence in the area. Surely, this was a public execution which would allow the mayor to show off his authority. There had to be many people gathered and yet no one dared to utter a word. Not even a single whisper. His doom was getting closer by the second,’We have gathered here today to execute this man. He is a foreigner who dares to come to our town and not follow our laws that guarantee the safety of our citizens.’ The mayor himself was doing the speech. Unfortunately, he seemed to be doing just fine after their last encounter.

Arata was brought to his knees by the guards. It was then that his body became hotter and his breath became more ragged as he was assaulted by a strong headache. He had a blindfold on but he suddenly saw everyone very clearly. No, that was the wrong word. He was able to see their ‘presence’ as weak as it was. There was a few that stood out, mainly the guards since they were stronger, but there were even a few stronger ones in the crowd. What was worse than this was that he could feel all the emotions in the air. Sadness, despair, hatred, fear, pity, anger. Negative emotions overwhelmed him. He couldn’t control it and became like a sponge that absorbed all of those emotions. He wanted to make it stop but it was then that he realised that among all those negative emotions there was a single positive one. It was the emotion they call love. It was coming from one person specifically but even in the darkest moment it shined the brightest. This must have been the power that was called Haki. Fujimoto told him more about it while they were training that there were three kinds of Haki but one of them could only be used by a handful of people. The ability to sense the presence of others was called Kenbunshoku Haki.

The speech continued,’The charges against him are: failure to pay the docking fee which all travellers must pay, assault on the town guards and attempted murder of the mayor. Such crimes cannot be let off easily and must be dealt with. Due to his uncooperative approach, death is the only solution left to us.’ It was then that he stopped being able to sense the presences and the headache went away. The guards prepared themselves as he heard the sound of steel being unsheathed. These were the final seconds of his life. The last sound he would hear. It was then that the roar of gunshots was heard in the vicinity accompanied by screams from the crowd. The guards beside him fell to the ground. Panic. The crowd started running away and the mayor started cursing loudly. The remaining guards armed themselves and prepared for combat. Behind him he could hear someone running at him but was then dragged forward away from the noise. What followed next was the sound of a weapon striking wood which the platform was made of.

Arata then felt like a hot potato being passed around from person to person until his handcuffs finally got removed along with his blindfold. The sight that he beheld was the bright white hair and blue eyes looking at him with a relieved smile,’Rina! You came for me!’ She hugged him as tightly as possible,’Of course I did, you idiot. How can I leave my own Captain? What would I do without you? Where would I go?’ Hearing this made him slightly tear up and he returned the hug,’Thank you. There is no better crew member that I could ask for.’ However, it was not over yet so he looked around what was going on. The weather was miserable and the gray clouds overed the sky. Some townsfolk that were able to fight clashed with the guards but it was clear that they didn’t stand a chance,’Bring me their heads!’ The mayor shouted angrily while the guards had to do his bidding. Some of them started coming right at the duo so Rina looked at him and handed him his sword,’Can you fight?’ He nodded,’Not for long.’ She nodded and unsheathed her daggers,’You need to finish what you started!

They engaged in combat with the guards but he was having a really hard time due to his condition. Luckily, that feeling came back to him again. He could clearly see the movements of the guards, the way their muscles tensed as they were making their next moves. He could see their attack before they made it. This allowed him to avoid the attacks and strike at their weaknesses. That was the only way he could fight right now. On the other hand, Rina handled herself very well and they were able to fight the guards off. Unfortunately, not even that lasted long as the townsfolk were disarmed and all the guards gathered around the two. They were completely surrounded. The mayor’s laugh reached their ears as a sign of victory.
Rina then turned to him and handed him the demon sword. That’s right. He missed such an important small detail. This whole time she had it at her hip,’Arata, do it! Back then I heard everything. We have no other choice!’ He didn’t want to. If he did she would lose her humanity forever. He might have to kill her too if she couldn’t control it. However, if he didn’t they would both die and Rina’s effort would be in vain. He really had no choice. He sheathed his blade and unsheathed the demon sword. The blade immediately set on fire with bright blue flames. Sadness filled him as he spoke the words,’I’m sorry, Rina.’ The Captain then stabbed the crewmember that tried so hard to save him in the chest.

The flames exploded and engulfed the white-haired girl. It was like she was completely erased by the flames but that was not true. The blue flames were dispersed and what emerged out of it was no longer human. The girls skin became a deathly pale with the exception of her arms and legs where from the upper part of the limb to the bottom her skin turned black. The black dress she was wearing was no longer there and instead pieces of white armor formed on her wrists, shoulders, neck, chest, the hips and crotch and lastly from her ankles to her knees. On her torso, red markings were now visible and instead of her jaw height white hair, her hair now reached her lower back and was a very light blue tint with the ends being pinkish/purple. She had horns coming out from her head along with other additions like wings and a tail while all her nails became sharp as claws. She was a demon now and yet her form was so very human. Rina opened her eyes and looked at him. Her blue eyes were still the same apart from the fact that her pupils became vertical like a cat’s eye,’If it means saving you and continuing our journey, then I will sacrifice even my own humanity. I will clear a path. You know what you must do.

She was still the same. There was no need to kill her. His greatest worry was now dispersed and his determination came back to him,’Hold onto my sword for me. I don’t think I will need it for now.’ All the guards were surprised at the events that unfolded before them. They had no words. Surely, to them this was an act of heresy from a witch. Rina then started her attack. In this form, she was much stronger and it was likely that all her physical capabilities were now increased. The guards had no chance against her and were falling like flies. They were prepared to fight humans but they have never fought a demon before. Arata parred the attacks that were thrown at him or tried to dodge them by using Haki. Even though he couldn’t perfectly control it, if he focused enough he was able to activate it for a few brief moments. The defence and the Haki both drained his stamina and energy further. He wouldn’t be able to keep going any longer. With all his remaining strength, he ran at the mayor who tried to run away once again. This time he made sure to get his heart. The pirate removed the mayor from his sword and the limp body fell to the ground.

Like in any war, if you kill the leader the war is won. He looked to where Rina was fighting. The guards seeing what he has done lost hope and surrendered. The now demon girl looked at him with a smile and then weakly collapsed to the ground. His vision also became dark and he felt his knees give out as he too fell to the ground. The battle was over. They had won.

WC: 1,814

Kenbunshoku Haki: 1,814/1,500
Arata Mizushima

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arata Mizushima on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:50 am

Arata woke up in a completely unfamiliar room looking at the ceiling. His body was still quite sore but he was no longer in pain. The pirate put his right hand in front of his face and inspected it by looking at it and clenching it. He pinched his cheek to make sure. Still alive. Arata let out a sigh and looked around the room. It was pretty empty save for the bed that he was laying on, a cupboard, a chair and a desk. An ordinary hospital room. He sat up slowly and weakly while still feeling a bit drowsy,’Looks like my body hasn’t completely recovered yet. I won’t be running or fighting soon by the looks of it.

Eventually, a man came into the room who he assumed was his doctor,’Oh! You’re awake.’ Arata nodded,’How long have I been out?’ The doctor took a seat beside his bed on the previously mentioned chair. His tone was quite friendly,’Three days. You were in quite a bad condition when we brought you here. I’m not sure any ordinary person would have been able to survive such wounds but then again, you’re not quite ordinary, are you?  We patched up your wounds. Some needed stitches some didn’t but unfortunately you will be left with some scars. You still need to rest a lot. We will prepare a meal for you so you get some energy in your system.’ The pirate listened to him and took it all in. Even though he was out for three days he didn’t feel like new or that he was very rested. It was more like he fell and opened his eyes here while the world moved on without him,’I see. What about Rina, my crew member? Where is she and how is she?

The doctor let out a sigh,’I see you care more about her than yourself. To put it simply she should be fine. She’s also here in the hospital. Her wounds were very minor compared to yours but the bigger problem is that she has been unconscious ever since with a very high fever.’ That didn’t sound exactly good since a high fever is able to kill someone even if she doesn’t have any wounds,’Can I see her?’ The doctor nodded and smiled,’Certainly, but not now. First, you need to eat and rest. Then we will check if you can walk and by the evening I’ll take you to her.’ That at least made him happy,’Alright, thank you.

As was said so was done. Sometime later a nurse came into his room with a meal. Even though he wasn’t really hungry up to now, with a meal in front of him his appetite increased. He thanked the nurse who was in a really good mood and she left him so that he could eat in peace. As far as hospital food went it wasn’t bad besides his body needed the nutrients and vitamins at this point. Once he finished eating Arata put the empty plate on the cupboard and laid down. There was nothing to do or talk to so he was on his own. He activated his Haki to see if he could sense anything out of the ordinary. He felt a big difference. The whole town was now happy and he could barely feel any negative emotions. The pirate smiled at that fact and tried to get some sleep.

When he woke up, another meal was ready for him so he ate it and then the doctor came,’Are you ready?’ He nodded and got slowly got out of bed to stand on his own two feet. It was impossible to hide that he was still unsteady on his feet but he could stand,’Let me help you.’ The doctor took his right arm and placed it over his shoulders while holding his left side to support him. They started walking towards where Rina was,’You know, the whole town is waiting for you two to get better. You are our heroes after all.’ Arata chuckled at that,’Two pirates, heroes of a town?’ The doctor smiled,’There is an exception to everything. If it wasn’t for you two we would still be under rule of that tyrant. Now everyone is bursting with happiness and joy. Everyone feels alive again. It is all thanks to you two.’ Arata also smiled,’We did what we thought was right. Nothing more, nothing less.

They kept walking at their own pace,’We couldn’t figure out why she has such a high fever. It’s not like she was wounded badly. Do you know why?’ Arata thought about it and there was only one reason why that was so,’I have an idea.’ The only logical answer was her new demon powers. Using them must have put a big strain on her body and since her body changed then the answer must have been that her body was getting accustomed to the change. Hence, the reaction of a fever. It probably wasn’t lethal since she did manage to control her powers so it was only a matter of time.

Eventually, they reached her room and the doctor opened the doors and let him in,’I’ll let you be alone with her.’ He nodded and walked in to sit beside her bed. She looked completely fine apart from the fact that she was breathing heavily from the fever. The pirate put a hand on her forehead and it really was hot. He let out a sigh and smiled,’We did it, Rina. We saved the town. It’s all thanks to you. Without you I would be dead. You really are strong. Maybe even stronger than me.

He wiped away her sweat on her face with a towel. It was the least he could do for her. He preferred to leave the rest for the nurses because he didn’t want to face the possible consequences later. Arata then activated his Haki once again but this time to feel her presence. Even with a fever it was quite strong. He didn’t have to worry. She wouldn’t die. It was their first major battle and they made it through with a victory. Back on Dawn Island it was he who saved her but now she was the one who saved him. It was clear that she didn’t do it out of debt or anything but simply because she wanted to. That’s what a real crew should be like.

After staying there for a while he returned to his room with the help of the doctor. He also needed rest but nonetheless he awaited Rina’s awakening. All they had to do was recover and their journey could continue. Needless to say, this probably wouldn’t be the only adventure like this as there were many islands. All of them had different people and cultures. He didn’t know what awaited them but Arata definitely hoped that it wouldn’t be such a close call every time. They had to get stronger. If they were struggling here then they had no chance in the Grand Line. With these thoughts in mind he closed his eyes to get some sleep.

WC: 1,184
Arata Mizushima

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arata Mizushima on Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Two days later, Arata recovered to the point of being able to walk for long and without any help so he got discharged apart from the fact that he had to come back to get his stitches removed. Upon leaving, he got his sword back to carry around with him. Rina’s sword was now an ordinary sword so there was no danger in it staying there to wait for her. He took a short stroll through the town to see everyone being happy and greeting him. He smiled at them as he passed by and headed for the port. It has been a while so he wanted to check on the boat.

Once there, Arata checked it as usual and everything was still the same,’Hey, guys. He’s here!’ He was very startled at this since the last time this happened he ended up in a prison for three days but he recognised the people to be the ones that helped him and Rina during the fight,’Oh, it’s you guys. Did you make it out alright?’ They nodded,’We came out with a few scratches here and there but it’s all thanks to you guys! You saved us and the town. True heroes!’ The pirate scratched his head,’I didn’t do much though… How did you even end up helping us?’  He wasn’t there at the time so he had no way of knowing what happened during the three days he was imprisoned.

One of the men from the group answered so as not to all talk at once,’Well, once you got imprisoned the white haired lass went back to the pub to ask for help. The bartender feeling sorry for her called out to us. We gathered and listened to her story. Saving someone that we didn’t know was not something we wanted to do but upon hearing that you will save our town all of that changed. You see we are actually a group of former mercenaries that serve the town and help it out. The lass made sure we knew how to fight and trained us for a bit. Next, came the reconnaissance on where you were held and what would happen to you next. It took a while but eventually we managed to sneak in disguised as guards but we only ended up stealing back your swords. The next day came the news of you being executed so we did more training and prepared ourselves for the big day. You know the rest.’

Hearing this has made him happy. Rina really was brave and even though before coming to this island she didn’t trust anyone, here she reached out for help in order to save her only friend. She really put in all her effort to save him and it paid off,’Wow…Thank you guys. You were also an important factor in our victory. We wouldn’t have been able to do it without you. Seriously. I bet she didn’t pay you since I have the money so how much do you want? As former mercenaries, you should be paid for your work.’ The group shook their heads,’We don’t want payment. We didn’t do this only for ourselves but for the whole town too. However, if you want to show us gratitude will you let us join your crew?’ He was asked with enthusiasm but unfortunately, he would have to refuse,’That would be nice but unfortunately since we don’t have a ship we can only fit two people on our boat…

They all looked saddened by this,’I see. Such a shame. Will you at least train us then? That way we could be able to protect the town better in the future.’ Arata thought about this for a while and nodded,’Sure, there shouldn’t be any problem with that but I can’t exactly fight. Instead, I will show you how it’s done and you can train with each other. Deal? By the way my name is Arata. I never introduced myself and they didn’t ask for the execution either so yea. The ‘lasses’ name is Rina. Just so you know.’ They all agreed and they began training for the next few days. Since they were former mercenaries they had the basics down so he just showed them how to get better. They practiced for the next five days at a specified time for three hours.  

On the fifth day, in total a whole week after he woke up in hospital, during two hours into their training a nurse came running to the port looking for him. She was completely out of breath when she arrived and needed a moment before she could speak. She looked him in the eyes and with a smile said,’She’s awake. She wants to see you.’ He nodded and looked back at the group,’Sorry guys. I need to go. You can continue by yourselves since I told you tips and pointers so just practice it.’ The group shooed him away so he would go and see Rina so he ran along with the nurse back to the hospital.

WC: 840
Arata Mizushima

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arata Mizushima on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Arata ran to the hospital as fast as he could along with the nurse but before entering Rina’s room he took a small breather. He couldn’t go in out of breath. Once he was ready, he walked in alone to see Rina sitting on her bed and she smiled at him as soon as she saw him. The pirate sat beside her bed and asked,’How are you feeling?’ She nodded,’It wasn’t exactly a peaceful sleep but I feel great! What about you?’ He smiled,’That’s good to hear. It was a bit rough when I woke up but I’m fine now. Just need to get my stitches removed and I’m ready to go. You know, the whole town is waiting for us. They call us heroes. Us who are pirates. The guys that helped us out even asked to join our crew!

She chuckled at this and let out a sigh,’I’m not sure I would be able to handle such a crowd. That would be quite embarrassing for us to be congratulated by everyone.’ Arata agreed with this. They didn’t do it to be thanked and just wanted to help but it ended up with his life at stake so it also became a personal problem too,’I’m proud of you. You were amazing to do this all by yourself. Thank you.’ She shook her head at this,’I didn’t do it alone. I had to rely on others to save the life of my Captain. I still have a long way to go.

If she said it this way then there he couldn’t disagree but either way he was still thankful that he could still be alive,’So what about your demon side? That’s what caused the fever,right?’ She let out a sigh and laid down on the bed,’Yes, that was the reason. Unfortunately for you, I’m still very much human. I’m sure you would like to look at demon me all day long.’ She teased him as well as explained a bit,’So…was that a one time thing?’ Rina shook her head,’No, I will be able to use it just that I will need to practice a bit. When you left that time to go and buy supplies Fujimoto told me more about it. He said that there was a type of magic that lets you take over the body or power of other beings. I guess this would fall under that. Though in truth this demon power is not entirely demon but also a bit of angel too. Though it is true that a fraction of me became demon in order to be able to use the power. Furthermore, since I never used magic before or might not be suited for it the transformation forced my magic circuits to activate so that magic can flow through my body. My body then had a counter reaction to the circuits and it gave me a fever.

He listened and tried to take it all in and understand it,’So technically when you use that form you become a Nephilim… I see that’s quite interesting. Even if you became completely demon I would still treat you the same way. Rina would still be Rina. Will you be able to learn other types of magic too?’ She shrugged,’Maybe? I don’t know. Probably not now since I can’t even control one type of magic. I’m not exactly sure how this magic thing works myself. In the future though, who knows?’ It was definitely a skill worth mastering. Rina then stretched out while letting out a yawn,’Until you get your stitches removed I might just stay here and sleep more. I think I deserve that.’ He let out a sigh,’You’ve been sleeping for more than a week. Isn’t that enough for you? Some lazy crewmember I have.’ She chuckled,’That’s hardly enough. I thought that by saving you I would get treated as a princess for the rest of my life but no. All I get is an ungrateful Captain.

They talked for quite a while after that and eventually the day ended. Rina had to stay in the hospital to make sure she was fine and all. The next day, Arata got his stitches removed in the afternoon and Rina got released so they ended up walking around town to do some shopping. Since his clothes got pretty destroyed in the prison he had to get himself some new ones. He got trousers similar to last time but for the upper part he got a blue t-shirt and on top of that a black jacket, which he would keep unbuttoned, that reached down past his butt. He also got his white-haired crewmember some extra clothes so she wouldn’t have to wear the same thing all the time. Girls were picky when it came to that anyway.

Once they were done with the clothes shopping, Arata went to the blacksmith to get some weapons for himself,’It’s a good time to expand my horizons and start practicing dual wielding.’ That way he could learn more powerful skills which he will surely need. He bought a sword straight away since they were of decent quality for a decent price but Rina sighed,’We did say we shouldn’t spend a lot of money but here we are buying things left and right. I guess it’s a necessity but remember to leave some money for the supplies.’ He nodded,’Don’t worry we have more than enough. I don’t like spending all my money at once either.

With everything that they needed bought, they wanted to drop it off at the boat however to their surprise, they were dragged to the town square by a crowd of people. There was as many people as the square could fit while the others listened from a distance through speakers. The duo was given a microphone and were urged to make a speech. As the Captain, Rina looked to him to fulfil that request. He let out a sigh and began,’Hello everyone. I guess an introduction would be a good start. My name is Arata and this is my crewmember, Rina. I’m sure everyone knows what happened recently so I don’t need to say anything about that. In truth, we are pirates. We saved the town because we felt that was the right thing to do and I’m thankful that some of you helped us in return. This event will probably make the news or something so I want you guys and the whole of East Blue to know that I now claim this island as my own. What I mean by this is from now on this island is under my protection. As of now we may not have a strong name or anything but in the future, who knows what our reputation will be? What else can I say? You guys are free to do whatever you want. It is probably a good idea to decide on a new mayor who will keep the law and other stuff in check. Thank you for listening.’ As he spoke they crowd was dead silent but the moment he finished they burst in a cheer at the good information.

The duo smiled to each other and then took their leave. Staying any longer would be pointless. They did not want to be adored and just wanted to be themselves. However, it was certainly good to see the town in such high spirits. It was a massive difference compared to when they first came. Rina was right. A lot of the places were bad or struggling but they definitely had the power to change it. This was the proof. Two passing pirates could make such a big impact on a town like this. It was something he used to think of as impossible. Maybe in some way they have already left a mark on this world or at least the East Blue. If not then Orange Town. Evidence that in this time and place Arata and Rina existed.

WC: 1,326
Arata Mizushima

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arata Mizushima on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:56 am

The duo stayed in town for two more days but then it was time to set off. There was nothing more keeping them here and they did everything that needed to be done. They were all healed up and rested and all the items that they needed were already on the boat,’So, what will our next destination be?’ Rina asked as they walked through the town and headed to the port,’Hmm… Well, there is somewhere that I want to go but it’s going to be dangerous. Considering that we just got out of a major battle I’m not sure if it is a good idea to get into another one. What say you?’ She pondered for a moment,’As long as you won’t be half dead again then I don’t mind, I guess. What is this place anyway?’ She looked at him curiously,’The island marked on the map Fujimoto gave me.’ Arata responded while Rina let out a sigh,’A treasure that should be worth our toil, huh? It better be. I do wonder what it is though. Any idea?’ The pirate simply shrugged,’No idea. However, if there is a strong guardian that protects it then it must be important, right? Saying so, that means it’s probably not money but some kind of item or items.’ She agreed with him,’I suppose that would make sense.

As they talked, they got closer to the port and eventually arrived but to their surprise…the boat was gone. They both looked in disbelief,’It was here just yesterday! Where did it go?!’ They both panicked and started looking around but there was no sign of it anywhere. All their stuff and supplies were on that boat. Did somebody steal it? Maybe the old mayor’s guards? They had plenty of reason to do it but at the same time they would be now punished for such an act. The townspeople then gathered at the port,’Fear not, pirates. Your boat is still here. It’s just that it’s gotten a bit of an upgrade.’ They both looked confused at what was said. If something was done to it then the boat was definitely unrecognisable. The people then pointed to a ship,’That’s your new boat. Your old one is mounted to the side too and all your belongings have been moved to your new room. It’s a gift from us all. We used the tax money was taken from us so you don’t need to worry the we still have plenty of money left. You are supposed to be our protectors. You need to have some kind of image.'

The duo was speechless. This was no small gift. It was a proper sized ship,’Wow. Words can’t express how grateful we are. Thank you. I suppose declining isn’t an option so we will take care of it.’ The group that helped them at the execution then came up,’So, now you have your ship. Can we join your crew?’ Since now they had plenty of space and needed more people to be able to operate the ship it was hard to say no. He looked to Rina and she smiled with a nod,’Alright then. Welcome aboard!’ They let out a cheer. The duo was happy too as their crew has massively grown thanks to this,’However, I feel that someone should stay behind to protect this town. So, I’ll let you guys decide that amongst yourselves. I say half of you stay and the other half come. That would seem fair.’ They nodded and started discussing who the lucky winners would be while Rina turned to him with a pout,’Does that mean I won’t be able to have you all for myself anymore?’ The pirate chuckled,’Jealous?’ She smirked,’Maybe a bit. Now that we have a proper ship and crew it seems we can’t put off thinking of a name. Any ideas?

That was a good question. One that they both put some thought into it but ultimately never decided. Arata looked to the top of the ship to notice that there was no black flag, the symbol of a pirate,’It seems that the name isn’t the only thing we have to think of.’ Thinking of a name and symbol was no easy task. It would be something the whole world would recognise after all so it had to sound good. Both of them thought of many names but none of them had that ‘wow’ factor. Maybe they were thinking too hard. The pirate then looked at the silver lion necklace that he was given. It was then that an idea came to mind. He went up to the seamstress of the town and told her what he wanted on the flag. They couldn’t set sail without one after all. The seamstress agreed and then hurried to her store to make it,’You got something?’ He nodded,’Yeah, I think I’ve decided. You’ll find out what it is when the flag comes.

They waited around for two hours talking amongst themselves and the townspeople before the seamstress came back holding a rolled up black cloth in her hands. She handed it to him and he thanked her. She didn’t want any payment as it was meant to be a ‘complimentary’ item for their gift ship. He smiled,’Alright, I have decided on the name of our pirate crew. We shall be called…Lionheart!’ Arata unrolled the cloth to reveal their symbol as pirates. It was the head of a lion with a skull in its mouth. Sure, the name wasn’t big and especially fancy but it fit them perfectly. To him it was a perfect match. Everyone cheered at the reveal,’Lionheart pirates…I like it.’ Rina said so with a smile.

Arata then continued,’It’s time for us. Thank you for everything. We definitely won’t forget it.’ They bowed in gratitude and boarded the ship. It was amazing and so spacious. It would take some time getting used to but it was all that he wanted. He went up into the crow’s nest and hanged the flag which fluttered about in the wind. He then got down and went up to the ship’s wheel. Now that he had more crewmembers it didn’t have to be him all the time but it was going to be their first cruise so he wanted that honour. The townspeople waved at them and the crew did so too. It was a big step in their journey. Shortly, they set sail further into the unknown to them world.

WC:1,072
Leaving thread
Arata Mizushima

View user profile