009: Training Day #1 - Fura!

-----
CONTINUATION FROM: [Reese In The Dragon Kingdom Lugnica]
-----
OOC| POST RATING [M 17+] Some Strong Language|
-----
[ARTIFACT]
Underground Magic Training Area:

The Witch Cult Underground hideout had a total of four training areas, each designed to facilitate a particular form of training. The Hall especially designed for the study of magic was a space about the size of a professional Football field. It was simply a massive sand pit with a variety of different target dummies lined up against the long ends of the field. Lines and numbers itched into the marble outline of the sand pit conveyed measurements of distance. There was also a designated corner for mentor-supervised spars, although it was rarely used.

Reese was finally out of his room and free to roam the hideout as he pleased again. A full week had passed since the initiation ceremony incident and Reese, of course, was over the entire thing. Unfortunately, it was clear the same could not be said for a lot of the other Witch Cult followers. Animosity towards Reese was thick in the air of every corridor, dining hall, and even in the laundry area where he did his assigned chores. Regardless, Reese was not bothered by the fact; he fully understood that he'd made himself public enemy number one and there was nothing wrong with that. He could live with being hated by a bunch of morons he had no respect for just as long as they understood to stay out of his way.

Reese was sitting alone on a marble bench across from the training area; his legs were spread apart a bit wide to discourage anyone from trying to sit beside him. And so, he sat with his back hunched forwards and his eyes buried into the pages of an old book he held in both hands between his knees. The book was titled "The Fundamentals of Magic" and, over the past two days, Reese had read through more than half of its eight-hundred pages. Valenteau had given Reese the book himself and urged him to take his time with it. However, Reese had determined that the book was a pretty simple read once one got through all the pointless trivia. It seemed that every aspect of the fundamentals came with a history lessons and some mage with a long funny sounding name giving their personal input on it. Some chapters were apparently dedicated entirely to trying to sell the reader on the idea of learning magic. "I'm already reading the fucking book, obviously I am interested in learning Magic!" Reese often muttered in response to such chapters as he skipped them.

What Reese did learn however, was the detailed particulars of Mana, Magic, the Witch Gene, and one's Gate. He learned about the proper measures that needed to be taken when practicing Magic. He could list every know Magic element and the Mana categorizations, and he could look at the training area, see someone use a spell and then name the spell they used. Through some book-guided experimentation Reese had also determined that he had an affinity to Wind Magic.
--------------------

Of course, there were things that Reese could not learn from the pages of a book. For example; actual execution of the spells he now had so much information about. From what he understood, using one's gate to perform Magic worked like any other muscle. It required repetitive practice and rest periods for his Mana and Gate to recover. Otherwise he ran the risk of having his Gate collapse and being forever unable to use magic again. Reese very much intended to avoid that outcome, if possible.

The young man clamped the book shut and sat it beside him on the bench as he looked to the training area and sighed. He needed to get in some actual practice so his choice was clear, didn't make him hate the idea any less.

"Alright Reese, get your ass up and let's do this shit." He said to himself before standing up and making his way across the corridor towards the magic training area. The people there were spread about, but the space was probably only half-full, still too early in the day for most, Reese assumed. He walked further into the sand pit until he found a spot that was relatively empty. "This'll do." he thought.

Like any exercise, a proper warm up came first and foremost. Reese began by summoning his Mana to his inner gate. Allowing the Mana to pass through the gate is what would produce the spell. He was not rushing to that step yet. For now, he would muster the Mana in controlled flows and hold it at his internal gate before resting it. To the other people in the training area it looked like Reese was doing nothing but standing there, awkwardly wincing and twitching his cheeks at random moments. He continued this exercise for about twenty minutes. Eventually, the process of calling forth his Mana came almost naturally to him.

By that time the training area had become more crowded, even Cassandra was present now. She spotted Reese from a distance and waved at him. Reese seemly returned the gesture before going back to his training. He and Cassandra hadn't spoken much at all since the initiation ceremony. It largely seemed that she was avoiding Reese, which he didn't mind. Time he wasn't around Cassandra was time he didn't have to worry about her getting on his nerves. He didn't waste anymore time in that line of thoughts and elected to focus on his training. It was about time that he enchanted his first spell.

Reese performed the steps he'd practiced so many times before; he summoned from within a bit of his Mana and focused it towards his internal gate. At the same time, he held out his right palm in front of him and looked into it as he imagined the magic taking the form of a small gust of wind in his hand. Then, he cautiously released his Mana through his gate. "Fura." he incanted. Instantly, without strain or delay, a swirling pool of air stirred to life within his palm, it whirled about with enough force and speed to blow back Reese's hair.

"Ha!" Reese laughed in disbelief. In all honestly, he'd half-expected it to fail. In fact, he himself not performing magic was his last remaining argument in denying the world of Lugnica and whether everything he'd experienced until now was real. But, here he was, using magic himself for the first time. And surprisingly, it didn't feel strange, artificial or mechanical. It felt oddly... natural. He closed his hand and shut the flow of Mana through his gate, effectively killing the spell.

After taking a few breaths of air he repeated the process again from the beginning, this time he focused a bit more Mana through his gate to increase to power of the spell. He also held both his palms out in front of him, facing each other. His intended to form the spell between his hands without making any physical contact. It was a step up from the first execution, but Reese now knew he could perform the spell in its most simple state.  It was time to discover his limitations.

"Fura", right off the bat he noticed that there was a considerable delay between the time he released his Mana and the time the spell actually started to form. About three seconds, and Reese had played enough real-time strategy games in his world to know that those three seconds could very well be the difference between life and death. He needed to shed off that delay.

"Oh shit!" Reese exclaimed as the gust of wind that had barely begun to form suddenly dissipated. The flow of his Mana through his gate had fizzled out to a halt. For now, about ten seconds of steady flow was the longest Reese could maintain a flow of Mana without risking the health of his Gate. A second limitation he took note of.

"The Mischievous Vagabond"
Rash ラシュ

Race : Human
Class : Agile
Power : 48
Strength : 69
Stamina : 60
Speed : 71
Energy : 69
Perception : 69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Witch Cult: Priestella Faction - Training Areas

Post by Rash ラシュ on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 am

010: Training Day #2 - Reese of The Arena, El Fura!

-----
OOC| POST RATING [M 18+] Some Strong Language| Some Violence|
-----
Reese was rested and ready to train again. He'd given his body almost a complete twenty-four hours to recover his Mana and his Gate after yesterday's training. The young adult from Tokyo now had one magic spell in his arsenal; the Wind spell, Fura. At his current level of experience Reese could efficiently use the spell to produce a simple gust of wind within close proximity to his being. If he intended to have a more practical use for the spell he would need to train harder to increase its range and power. The next step was to master "El Fura". Reese understood there were a few ways he could go about achieving this goal, but there was only one that interested him. He actually had two goals; to master the spell and also get some magic dueling experience. And there was only one place he would find the latter.

During breakfast he debated with himself about the finer details of his desired routine. On one hand he didn't see why it would be much of a problem, on the other he considered Valenteau's warning about refraining from making more "waves" than he already had. However, to actually consider that warning was uncharacteristic of Reese to begin with --it already didn't sit well with him. Then added the fact that Reese extrapolated his plan would also provide some of the more "sentimental" followers with an outlet to vent their pent up aggression towards him; and Reese had what he saw as a win-win situation! The plan had crystallized! And just as he'd finished his bowl of oats.

Reese tossed his bowl to the table top, and practically jumped from his chair as if a fire on the seat had set his rear ablaze. He wiped his mouth with the cuff of his left sleeve and grinned. Viper and Cassandra, who'd both been having breakfast at the same table, looked up at Reese together; the oh so familiar "worry" appeared as a gray soluble that gradually dissolved into their expressions. It seemed Reese's sudden epiphanies had become synonymous with mischief in their eyes. "My friends understand me perfectly!" Reese jovially noted to himself just before he jumped on top of the table. He took a deep breath and prepared to address the entire dining hall. Cassandra hoped to spare everyone, "Reese don't-!"

"Hey Viper!" Reese started. Cassandra was too late, she grunted and buried her head as far into her crossed arms as she could.

"You smelling what I'm smelling?!" Reese continued, and made sure he was loud enough to be heard by everyone.

Viper had no particular inclination to be involved in Reese's shenanigans, but the last few days had been uneventful for him and he elected to play along citing that there was always one constant with Reese. He never failed to keep things entertaining. "Well!" Viper replied equally loud then chuckled.

"Don't encourage him, Master Viper, Please!" Cassandra begged hopelessly.

"I don't know, what are you smelling exactly, Reese?!" Viper finished.

"Hold on, let me have another whiff!" Reese paused. He lowered his head and squinted his entire expression as he drew in a massive sniff of the air and rose his head up and back through the entire motion; his hands were planted at his hips for added attitude. "AAAHHH," he exclaimed. "Yup, I wasn't sure at first but that is definitely what I am smelling!" By this point he'd gone on long enough for every pair of eyes to be stuck on him. He read the expressions, and found it hilarious how some appeared to just be waiting for him to say something they could get offended over. "Fucking over-sensitive babies, making this shit too easy!" he thought. "That be the smell of a whole lot of chicken ass!" He declared, to the annoyance of all his listeners. "I seem to recall a bunch of you had a bone to pick with yours truly. I stand by every word I said on the ceremony night. I am going to be the fucking best around here and none of you scum are going to stand in my way. There are three things that make a man!" Reese held up his closed hand "His Word!" He raised his index finger, "His Wit!" his raised his middle finger next. Reese then shut his hand tight and added "And his Fists! I will be in the sparring arena in the magic training area all day. If any of you really want a piece of me and have the gonads to back your bark up with your bite, you know where to find me!"

Not unlike what he expected there were quite a few who didn't take kindly to Reese's challenging tone and made that fact abundantly clear by cursing him out and throwing articles of eatery at him as he jumped off the table and impartially sauntered out of the dining hall. Viper and Cassandra chased after him.

The sparring arena was a corner in the magic training area that was elevated like a stage. Since his arrival, Reese had not seen it used even a single time. From what he was told by Viper when he'd asked about it, most people thought dueling was an ineffective way to train. The main argument was that in a magic duel you weren't allowed to use spells at their full potency; which meant you weren't training to build the power of your spells. Which was true; but also the entire point. Reese wasn't trying to only make his spells more powerful right now. He also wanted to train his Mana and test his nerves in an actual battle. Knowledge and experience were two separate skills that were both individually important. The young man from Tokyo wasn't sure about any of the other Witch Cult followers, but he knew he himself had no magic duel experience and that needed to change.

Reese was in the arena, his sleeves rolled up to his elbows, he stretched his arms and legs in preparation for the duels to come. A crowd had already begun to amass around the arena. "Alright, who's first?!" Reese called out.

"Me, you bastard!" a familiar voice whined. Reese knew who it belonged to.

"Is that you, Claus?! Get your little punk-ass up here, then!" he shouted back.

Claus crawled up onto the arena, assisted by two followers who pushed him up. "I'm going to make you pay, Reese!" Claus warned once he was on his feet.

"You're about to get clapped in front of all your little friends, Claus!"

Viper walked to the center of the Arena and looked plainly at Claus and then at Reese. "Magic Duel regulations dictate that each duel within this arena be supervised by someone of at least mentor rank. I, Weapons Master Viper Wilstone, will be the referee of these duels."

"Thanks Vipers!" Reese, rolling his neck as Viper stepped backwards.

"Commence Duel!"

Claus was the first to move. He swung his arm forwards and pointed his palm directly at Reese's face. Reese could sense Claus's magic forming within his palm. With a flash of orange light a ball of flames burst to life, "EL GOA!" Claus chanted before the fireball menacingly blasted towards Reese.

"An 'El' level Goa spell? He's going balls-to-the-wall right off the bat, eh?" Reese mentally noted, "He probably can't manage more than two of those without exhausting his gate." Reese smirked as he dipped a little to the right, dodging the fireball. The warmth of it kissed his left cheek as it roared pass him and dispersed a few meters later. The crowd filled with cheers and wails. Reese estimated the range of Claus's El Goa was about six meters. Decent, but not all that impressive.

"So, you've got a little speed in your step!" Claus, trying to play it cool. Truthfully, he'd hoped to end the duel quickly. He'd banked it all on his El Goa connecting. Reese couldn't blame him, under normal circumstances, Claus's spell would have landed. Reese's heightened agility wasn't a factor Claus would have known to account for.

It was Reese's turn to make a move, Claus was already building up his mana to launch a second spell. Reese had two options; the safer choice would be to close the distance between Claus and himself and use a regular Fura spell from close-range. "Where's the fun in that?!" he thought. The second choice would be to try to finally cast El Fura. The spell packed a little extra punch and had the added benefit of being ranged. If he pulled it off, Reese could guarantee victory in a single move.

"Get the fuck off my stage!" Reese as he winded his right arm back, in that moment he focused his mana through his gate and formed a swirling gust of air around his forearm. "El Fura!" Reese thrust his fist towards Claus with an uppercut motion. The magical wind  sprang from his arm and whirled towards Claus in a climbing arc that connected with his torso and launched the kid into the air, clean out of the arena and back into the crowd. "Lata Bitch!" Reese slammed his right fist into his left palm and grinned smugly. "Who's next?!" he challenged.

Reese participated in seven more duels. Each one ended as decisively as the one before it if not more so. With each cast of El Fura Reese literally "winded" a hopeless challenger out of the arena. Every subsequent battle refined the spell more and more. He could effortlessly cast it in battle from either arm or leg and was well on his way to completely mastering the spell. He noted that the strength of the El Fura was in its ability to maintain a constant gust even after it was casted. The duels had also allowed to Reese to push his old limits. Slowly, but surely, he was coming closer to fully mastering Wind Magic. There remained only two spell variants Ur Fura and Al Fura. However, that was a task for another day; for now, another twenty-four hours of rest were in order.
-----
CONTINUED IN: [Reese In The Dragon Kingdom Lugnica]

Rash ラシュ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rash ラシュ on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:19 am

014: At Knife's Edge

-----
CONTINUATION FROM: [Before Cometh The Storm]
-----
OOC| POST RATING [M 17+] Strong Language|Blood & Violence|
-----
Reese stood within the Witch Cult armory, a room about ten times as large as his own, decorated and furnished with every form of weaponry imaginable for the era. A gallery of death tools. Bladed weapons, blunt weapons, staffs and orbs imbued with magic energy, cages within which beasts rested, flasks of variably-colored potions and poisons. It was all very overwhelming to take in at once. Luckily, Reese had already made up his mind. Viper stood patiently just outside the room and waited for Reese to pick from the selection the weapon he wished to master. Moments later Reese emerged from the armory holding a knife in each hand.

Viper grinned wildly, "An excellent choice if I say so myself."

Reese returned with a grin of his own "I thought you might agree." his expression became serious again, "The man I mean to kill-"

"The captain knight?" Viper confirmed.

"Yes." Reese finitely. "He's a huge guy with an equally huge sword for a weapon. I need a weapon that I can carry easily, something that compliments my natural agility and won't slow me down. Knives are the optimal option for what I want to accomplish."

"I'm intrigued," Viper, raised his brow. "what exactly do you want to accomplish, Reese?"

"That's simple." Reese calmly unsheathed one of the daggers and observed the shine of the blade. "I'm going to carve the son of a bitch up like a pig before he ever has a chance the strike back." Reese said as he sliced the blade through the air before him.

"As always, you never cease to amaze."

"I'll need you to train me. Although, I have been meaning to ask why no one else comes to you for training. You are the weapons master, after all, right?" Reese asked curiously as he sheathed the blade.

"Yes, that is true. To be honest, my preferred style of training is very... unorthodox, let's say."

Reese paused and gave Viper a side look. "Unorthodox, huh? Can't say I don't like that word."

Viper chuckled. "Given the potentially self-destructive nature of my training methods almost all the other followers pass it up for the more traditional styles of mastery. Regardless of whether or not the results do not even begin to compare."

"Meh, bunch of pansy-ass bitches anyway." Reese as he strapped the blades to his hip. "So, you going to train me with this super dangerous method or not?"

Viper seemed genuinely concerned, "While I love your confidence, I have to warn you that my training style is not suitable for most. In fact, the others are right to decline it. You would be right to do so as well, I will think no less of you for it. The last person who attempted it was left crippled. Lord Valenteau wouldn't let me hear the end of it for months."

"Viper, come on, I'm not that guy. Whatever this training is, I can handle it. I'm Reese-fuckin'-Celestin! Just tell me what kind of results we're looking at when I complete the training?" Reese confidently.

Viper sighed hopelessly, "Should you fully complete the training," he shrugged, "you'd specialize in knife-combat alone, but all forms of it. Later you might try to master other weapons, but you will NEVER be as proficient with any other weapon as you are with knives." Viper paused and scratched his chin as his gaze wandered towards the ceiling in thought. He looked back at Reese and raised three fingers, "In three weeks you'd be on equal skill with knives as I am now, if not slightly better."

Reese's face lit up with shock, "JUST THREE WEEKS?!" he thought. In three weeks he could have what took Viper probably years to master. For those kind of results Reese could endure a little bit of whatever torture and pain that came with Viper's harsh training regimen. "Well, sign me up then, Viper-sensei!"

Viper crossed his arms and hummed under his breath, "You'd be my first student in almost eight years and I imagine you'd make an excellent sparring partner." he grinned.

Reese nodded for each point, "And you'd get to prove your training actually works. Beside, I'm only interested in learning from the best. That's you, Viper. Not taking 'no' for an answer here. Got it?"

"Right! Very well, Reese, I will train you. By the end of your training you will be Reese Celestin, Knife Meister!"

"OSU!" Reese roared with clenched fists. Excitement flooded through his veins. He'd always loved martial arts as a sport and had dabbled in a few on his own before, but he'd never obtained the title of 'master'. He wondered exactly what the training would be like, how Viper would transform him, and what the training would mean for his chances against the captain knight when the time eventually came.

"Come, Reese, there is much we need to prepare!" Viper called and Reese followed his master.

"Osu!" he replied.
--------------------

For his first training exercise Reese had been instructed to empty his room and then procure one of every available knife that could be found within the underground base. Granted, Reese found it to be an unusual --besides boring and time-consuming-- task, but it was one he completely with due diligence. Within the hour he managed to collect one of every knife from the armory, the kitchen, and all other areas that any kind of knife might have been found. He stored the blades in his room as instructed, his bed having been removed to the hall to make space for the collection of bladed instruments. Also in his room he found several aged books and scrolls, all dedicated entirely to the topic of knives; their origins, purposes, and the ideal methods of forging and maintenance. Reese wondered if he would be expected to read and memorize all the written knowledge now available to him. He didn't imagine it would be practical to expect he could do it all within three weeks. He hoped to ask Viper, but it seemed the weapon master had gone off a while ago.

Reese stood in the center of his room, drew one of his knives, and observed it again. Like Viper's own twin daggers there were no unique features or attributes to the ones Reese had. The blades were wide, single-edged, with a leather-wrapped handle. A little heavy in hand, but surely light enough considering Reese's now super-human strength. Reese widened his stance a bit with his left leg in the lead; in his right hand he held the knife upright with the blade slightly slanted forwards. He extended his arm forwards in a curved arch --a slashing motion-- then returned to his initial stance and repeated. Each execution was done calmly with utmost attention to form and detail. He minded the way he shifted to the ball of his foot with each extension to maximize his reach and the slight flick of his wrist at the height of each slash to insure he utilized the entire edge of the blade in the slicing motion. Slash - repeat, slash - repeat. Reese practiced the motion again and again inscribing it into his muscle memory.

To Be Continued...

Rash ラシュ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rash ラシュ on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:32 pm

015: Divine Protection of Deathly Obsession!

-----
-----
Completely immersed in his training, Reese failed to realize that Viper had arrived back at his dormitory with company. The old lady in charge of the laundry chores - Gristel. Reese had just completed a slashing motion when lady Gristel shouted "Excuse us!" to get his attention.

"SHIT!" Reese exclaimed in alarm, before turning to face the direction of which the voice had come. He scowled at Gristel when he finally spotted her. "Welcome back, Viper-sensei... Gristel." he pouted when he said the woman's name.

"Reese Vonn Celestinia" Gristel called back, "I see you're still a good for nothing." she remarked with a sigh. "So sad." Reese was not bothered as much by the words as he was by the fact that Gristel was the main champion of insistence on addressing him as "Vonn Celestinia".

"I see you're still not dead." Reese sharply. "Stupid old hag." he added in mutter.

Viper simply grinned. "I see you two are already acquainted, that makes things easier for now."

"Yeah, I am familiar with this imperialistic slave-driver." Reese.

"As am I, with this bastard Celestinia." Gristel. The tension between the two seemed electric with Viper caught in the middle. Reese didn't mind Gristel, as long as she wasn't barking orders into his ear and demanding everything be done the "Gristel Way". Reese didn't like following orders or being told how he should fold bed sheets. Naturally, that fundamental difference between the two was bound to keep them at eternal odds -- or, as Reese predicted, until Gristel randomly dropped dead. "Any minute now." He thought expectantly.

Viper turned to Reese, "While you may know Gristel as the head of the laundry department, she also happens to be the most skilled healer within the Priestella faction." he explained.

"HA!" Reese blurted out, "So that's how you do it, yah old dusty fart?!" he smirked at Gristel's obvious annoyance upon the deliverance.

"Settle down, you two." Viper. "Reese, lady Gristel's healing abilities are second to no one's"

"Just like her age." Reese snickered just loud enough for Gristel hear... he then considered maybe she hadn't because she was so old.

"She's agreed to stick around. It's very very likely that we will be needing to use her healing abilities over the course of your training." Viper explained.

"Oh?!" Reese seriously, "Thank you very much, lady Gristel!" he saluted sharply.

"Save it, Celestinia scum." Gristel with a deflective raise of her wrinkly right palm.

"Drop dead, raggedy bitch!" Reese with equal sharpness.

"Ah yes, Reese. I forgot to mention she's agreed to help on one condition, but we'll get to that much later. For now, we will begin phase one of your training."

"Osu!" Reese, bright with excitement.

Viper then drew one of his blades, "We spoke briefly about my Divine Protection some time ago. It is called the Divine protection of Deathly Obsession."

"Sounds dope!" Reese, albeit, clueless.

"It is important that you understand how my ability works before we begin. I will explain everything, if you decide you no longer want to proceed afterwards that's fine."

"We've already been over this, Viper-sensei." Reese with a hint of annoyance as he rolled his eyes.

Viper nodded, "Very well." In that instant he focused his mana and activated his ability. Reese and Gristel would merely see Viper's blade glow with a venomous purple hue. "In a moment I am going to pierce your heart with my blade, it will not cause you any physical harm but your heart will stop for a few seconds. In that time I will infect you with an overwhelming obsession and adoration of knives. It will be like love at first sight, and in your obsession you will do everything you can to learn about and experience knives, hence the material in your room."

"Oooohh!" Reese gasped.

Viper continued, "You will not feel hunger, sleepiness or the urge to pursue any other activities. Knives will be your only interest. Total deathly obsession. Do you understand?"

Reese nodded, "I got it."

"This stage of the training will go on for a week. You will not be able to leave your room and Dorothy and myself will be on twenty-four hour watch. When you complete stage one you will be ready to refine your new knowledge in combat through intense training and practice. You will no longer need Deathly Obsession, by then you would have developed a genuine love and appreciation for knives."

"Alright, I'm ready." Reese declared. He noticed that both Viper and Gristel seemed surprised that he decided to proceed even after the explanation. He could only imagine that they thought he didn't fully grasp the danger of the situation. As far as Reese was concerned a few days without food wasn't a big deal. Gristel sighed as if disappointed.

Of course Viper tried to talk Reese out of it one final time. "Reese, this is the last chance to call it off. You don't have to-"

"Oh, for the love of god!" Reese exclaimed as he grabbed Viper's knife-wielding hand and pointed it towards his chest. "LET'S-" Reese pulled Viper's arm closer to him with the knife pointed directly at his own heart. "GO!" And into his heart the dagger plunged true. It seamlessly passed through flesh and bone, leaving no trace of injury or pain. "Kinda cold and ticklish." Reese thought as the blade connected. "Hehehe" Reese tittered earning himself a long sigh from Viper who simply shook his head.

"Honestly, Reese... Good luck!" Reese raised his hand with a thumbs-up and winked. Then his heart stopped.

To Be Continued...

Rash ラシュ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rash ラシュ on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:03 am

016: A Cut To The Point!

-----
-----
Divine Protection of Deathly Obsession. The ability that grants Viper the power to instill an unnatural consuming passion and infatuation with a targeted person. In essence it is a limited form of mind control. Under the right circumstances, the mind of an affected person can be consumed to the point of insanity and a loss of rational thought. The affected may be driven to inflict self-harm, take one's own life, or even commit mass murder. All in the name of their obsession.

However, Deathly Obsession is not absolute, although extremely rare, there are case in which people of strong will and mental fortitude have suppressed their obsession and resisted the temptations. There is one certainty, Deathly Obsession has permanent effects on all its victims even after its deactivation. Depending on the circumstance victims will either gain true affection towards the objects of their obsession or they will gain genuine resentment or fear.

The conditions and rules of Divine Protection of Deathly Obsession are as follows:
One, it can be used on a person only once within their lifetime.
Two, Deathly Obsession can only instill passion and fixation for inanimate objects; not other people, animals, and any living creatures.
Three, Deathly Obsession can stay within effect for up to fourteen days.
Four, the ability must be channeled using a physical medium stabbed into the target. Stabbing the heart is not a requirement, however the closer the stab is to the heart the quicker the ability takes effect. For example: a stab in the foot would take roughly thirty seconds to activate Deathly Obsession, while a stab to the heart needs only two-three seconds at most.

Given its conditions, Deathly Obsession isn't ideal for combat situations and thus its ranking is misrepresented on a scale that rates Divine Protections solely on their combative capabilities. In reality, Deathly Obsession is one of the strongest abilities in the possession of the Witch Cult.

--------------------

... Viper was skeptical as he turned the key to Reese's room door. The door unlocked with a sharp click before silence seemed to drown the entire dormitory hall. Viper held onto the doorknob and called out to the knife-obsessed Reese inside.

"Reese, my friend, how are you doing in there?" he asked. There was no reply at first, but eventually the young man from Tokyo answered.

"I don't know, Viper... edgy, I guess!" Reese laughed, seemingly amused by his own tasteless pun.

"I see," Viper coolly. "I hope you aren't stabbing and cutting yourself again. Even Gristel's abilities have limits." There was genuine concern in Viper's voice. Although he knew his Deathly Obsession would drive Reese to inflict some self-harm --in fact that was to be expected-- he could not predict that Reese would go as far as he did. In the first three days of stage one, Reese had started to stab and slash himself all over his body, all while chanting about how cold and soothing the blades felt just as they touched and broke his skin. Thankfully, Gristel was able to heal those wounds easily enough. Then Reese sliced up his tongue and mouth after he spent hours throwing knives into the air and catching them in his jaws. He'd eventually mastered the skill, but at a terrible risk, he'd almost completely severed off his tongue and bled to death from his mouth. Nevertheless, Gristel fixed him up again without complication. Despite all the close calls, Viper noted that Reese's training had actually progressed better than expected. From what he'd seen so far, Reese had become extensively familiar with knives. He'd read all the books within the first four days and could name off dozens of knives and their specifications just by look or touch. Those weren't even the most impressive aspects of Reese's new skills. He could balance a knife on the tip of each of his fingers. He'd mastered knife-throwing techniques from practicing on his door and walls.

As far as self-harm and lashing out were concerned, Viper knew that Reese had probably gained enough self-control to no longer be a major risk to himself. Still, Viper asked for reassurance more than anything else. One could never be sure with Reese Celestin.

"Oh no, I'm not knifing myself anymore, Viper..." Reese plainly. "I'm ready to try knifing other people now. Everyone should feel the pleasure of getting stabbed with a knife at least once in their life time. Just the sight of your own blood dripping down the edge of a knife, it's so euphoric!" Reese added.

"Right. Well, Reese, it's about time you come out of there so we can begin stage two of your training. I am going to open the door now, are you ready?"

"Yeah, yeah, just open the door!" Reese, very obviously excited. Although Viper had no way of knowing it, Reese had armed himself with three knives, one in each hand and a third concealed behind his back, tucked into his pants. The blade in his right hand was held upright and the one in the left was held in reverse-grip.

"Alright, I'm coming in." Viper, clueless, as he opened the door. He'd barely stepped into the room, when the glint of a flying blade caught his left eye. The weapons master's reflexes kicked in instantly and he dived back out of the room as the incoming blade lodged into the wooden door with a thud. "REESE!" Viper reprimanded.

"Don't worry, Viper!" Reese had already moved, he zipped past the door, snatching his knife from the door as he entered the hall and leaped directly at Viper. "I just want to cut you!" he shouted out as he slashed downwards with his right blade.

Viper grunted as he drew one of his own blades to meet Reese's attack. Their metals clashed with a burst of sparks as Viper was forced backwards into the wall. Reese landed into a low crouching position. He stance gave every indication that he was preparing to lunge towards Viper. The weapons master barely had enough time to react before Reese was on him again. He now held both blades in upright grip and stabbed at Viper three times with the left before slashing vertically with the right and then rebounded backwards.

Viper blocked all the attacks and then slashed at Reese, but the young man from Tokyo was already out of reach. "He's quick!" Viper noted mentally before he grinned wildly at Reese.

"Viper-sensei, let me cut you, please!" Reese grinned back just before he charged forwards.

"Like Hell I will! Commence Stage Two!" Viper responded excitedly as he matched Reese attack with a charge of his own. The two clashed blades and a flash of sparks blossomed between them for a second time.
-----
CONTINUED IN: [Before Cometh The Storm]

Rash ラシュ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rash ラシュ on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:36 pm

018: Trial of the Knife Meister Begins!

-----
CONTINUATION FROM: [Before Cometh The Storm]
-----
OOC| POST RATING [17+] Mild Language
-----
Reese was in his new room making his final preparations for the big trials. He was dressed in his purple sweat pants and a black long sleeve shirt that was fitted to his athletic build but not in a way that would inhibit his mobility. The garments were the least of Reese's concerns, however, as he spent the passing minutes adjusting the belts and holsters that held his arsenal of varied knives. A holster armed with six small spear point knives was fastened to each of his thighs. Another was buckled around his waist and kept two bowie knives strapped horizontally against his lower back. Lastly a pair of crossing belts fastened two tanto knives across his back.

Reese sighed as he looked at himself in the mirror. "Viper-sensei, this is overkill, dude." Reese muttered to himself before he chuckled in recollection of the past weeks. It had been exactly three weeks, just as Viper promised, even Reese still had trouble processing how fast he'd improved in that time. He was the best knife-combatant the Priestella faction had to offer, second only to Viper, whom Reese had yet to officially beat in a spar. Regardless, Reese now rolled with the heavy-hitters of the Witch Cult, after the trials the other Witch Cult followers might have to address him as "Master Reese". Reese smirked internally. "Master Reese, has a nice ring to it." he thought.

Of course, title and status had never been the driving motivation for Reese's hard work; on the contrary, the "Knife Meister" title was just a bonus, a perk. A box ticked off on the bucket list of achievements that would bring him closer to his ultimate goal of taking out the Knight Captain. Reese reminded himself of the vow he'd made to kill the Captain and used the fire that burned in those words to temper his nerves. "Let's get this bitch on!" Reese declared to his reflection before leaving his room.

When Reese arrived at the training area it was already bustling with Witch Cult followers, all awaiting the beginning of the trial events. Reese spotted Viper and Gristel approaching him and nodded to acknowledge he'd seen them. Viper grinned at Reese and the two locked arms in a firm handshake once they met. "Right on time, Reese! Are you ready to get this show on the road?"

"Hell yeah, Viper-sensei!" Reese confidently. The mentor and student both seemed to completely forget about little old Gristel until she mock-coughed to get their attention.

"That's great, but I don't care how 'ready' either of you are, nor do I care about this trial event. By the end of it I want what I was promised, regardless of if this bastard Celestin passes or fails."

"Say what you dusty old bitch?" Reese's right eye twitched in agitation as his left arm seemed to reach for one of his bowie knives on its own. Viper patted Reese's shoulder.

"Of course, Madam Gristel." As Viper responded Reese recalled the moment Gristel named the price of her assistance in the training. "Wolgarm meat" Gristel had demanded. Wolgarms, as Reese had come to learn were a canine species of Demon Beast. Commonly known for their aggression and ability to cast curses on even people. Apparently, Wolgarm meat was something of a delicacy amongst certain Lugnican cultures, especially certain cuts of the meat that were known to be rich in mana. Of course to Reese, the bottom line was that Gristel wanted him to hunt dog meat for her, which was a small price to pay for the very essential service she'd provided during his training. Say what he willed about her unsavory bitch personality, the old hag knew her healing mojo.
--------------------

The wait for the trials to begin was not a long one. Within minutes after Reese's arrival, Lord Valenteau made an appearance with Cassandra. Many of the followers rushed to greet him, which gave Viper a bit more time to make some final adjustments and check that all his support staff were in their positions. Reese stood at the center of a massive circle in one of the rearranged training areas. Scattered all across that sandpit field were orb shaped sacks with red circles painted on them. There were red dots painted in the center of each circle. Reese counted the orbs at one hundred large, they were each about the size of a beach ball. If he had to guess, the first event of the trial was likely to be a knife-throwing challenge. "Simple enough." Reese thought.

Viper finally stood before the ever-anticipating audience and announced that the trial would soon begin. Of course, first he took a moment to hype up Reese. He explained, without delving too much into the details, the nature and stages of Reese's training, with a brief mention of how difficult the training had been. He brought to light all of the major milestones in the training and how Reese persevered despite all challenges. Gristel, Dorothy and all the support staff got shout outs for their contributions, and lastly Viper explained the setup of the trials.

There would be six events over the course of three days and Reese would need to pass at least five of the events in order to gain the title of "Witch Cult Knife Meister". However, passing the trials would mean more than just an increase in rank and title. Reese would have to accept the new responsibilities that came with being a "Master". He'd have the honor of working directly under Lord Valenteau with the other Masters and doing missions outside the faction base. He'd also get to pick a group of Witch Cult followers to work under him as his subordinates.

Reese, who had been balancing one of his bowie knives on his index finger, seemed to be completely impartial to the mentioning of responsibilities and duties. It was abundantly clear to everyone present that Reese had not interest in the finer details of the promotion. The only thing on his mind now was acing these trials. He knew Viper well enough to conclude the weapons master wouldn't make it easy for him despite their close bond. It was time to put his metal to the test, the pressure was on, but for the first time in a while, Reese was genuinely excited for the competition. Looking at Reese closely, Cassandra could see it again, the fire of focus and determination blazing in his sharpened expression.

To Be Continued...

Rash ラシュ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rash ラシュ on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:47 pm

019: Knife Meister Trials - Day One!

-----
OOC| POST RATING [17+] Strong Language|Suggestive Themes|
-----
"For the first event we will need nine volunteers from the audience to step forwards and join Reese in the giant circle." Viper explains. Reese's brow went up curiously, he could hear the scheming intent in Viper's voice.

"You sly son of a bitch, what are you playing at here!" Reese snickered softly to himself. Sure as day, nine others from the audience stepped into the circle with Reese, each one looking as self-confident as the next. A few of the support staff followed afterwards and gave each of the nine a bundle of throwing knives as Viper continued to explain the first event.

"Some of the most essential skills in knife martial arts are accuracy and speed. In high-stake battle situations every attack has to be precise and calculated. At the same time, you must be quick to assess and predict your opponent's moves in mere instants. It is not a skill everyone can master, but through hard work and intense training... well, you will now see the level of mastery Reese has honed in just three weeks. Each of the other nine contestants have been given a bundle of ten knives. Surrounding the circle are one-hundred balls with targets drawn on them. The objective is to hit the targets on each ball. Reese, you must hit fifty-five of the targets to pass this trial. The rest of you have to simply hit as many of the targets as you can." At that moment four memebers of the support staff in the background would begin to use levitation spells to make the targets float into the air. The audience gasped and cheered with excitement. "Oh, I almost forgot to mention! The targets will NOT be stationary. In fact they will fly right at the contestants. If you're knocked out of the circle you are disqualified!" With those words the target balls formed a dome of sorts around the circle and began to orbit around it.

Reese noticed the other nine contestants staring at him deviously. "So, they've figured it out already, have they?" Reese thought before speaking to his challengers. "Damn it. I thought it would have taken you shitheads a bit longer to realize it."

"That's right, Reese, you bastard!" One of the contestants replied. "This isn't a contest between ten, it's us against you, nine versus one!"

Reese shrugged, "Viper-sensei sure knows how to make things interesting. The way it's set up scoring fifty-five hits is my only win condition. You fuckers on the other hand win simply by making me fail. Som you need to collectively score forty-six hits to disqualify me. That's five hits a piece for all of you except one who needs six. Things are kicking off on an exciting note." Reese explained smugly.

"You seem awfully confident for someone who doesn't stand a chance of winning this!" another contestant. "You should just kiss your dream of snagging that fancy title farewell. Like Hell we'll let a lowly Celestin bastard outrank us!"

Reese chuckled as he slid his hands down to the holsters on his thighs and withdrew six knives, three in each hand and held between his fingers. "It's fucking sad..." He added smugly as he crossed his arms over his chest and widened his stance. A glint of focus flashed in his silver eyes. "All these knives and you fuckers are still missing the point!" He shocked the competition with his play on words, but they would not have the time to fully grasp the meaning of Reese's words before Viper shouted,

"BEGIN!" and the game was on!

Reese instantaneously swung both his arms outwards, like a eagle spreading its wings, and released his six blades. They flew straight and true, each met its mark before the balls had ever broken from their orbital motion. But Reese did not let up, he didn't even check if the knives had all landed before he was already drawing the other three on each leg just as he had done moments early. Another outward swing of his left hand --another three hits. By that point the targets started shooting inwards. One glided directly at Reese from his right; he rolled forwards on his left shoulder to avoid it and released his three right knives. Thud! Thud! Thud! Hit. Hit. Hit.

"WOW! Ten seconds haven't passed and Reese already has twelve confirmed hits! He already holds a massive lead!" Viper announced. Reese counted seventeen fallen targets already. From the contestants two had already been knocked out of the circle. But the five hits the competition already scored compensated for one of them.

Reese knew what he needed to do next. He shifted on his left foot and made a beeline for the nearest contestant, it was the one who'd addressed him earlier. The man barely had time to notice as Reese withdrew one of his bowie knives with his left hand in reverse-grip and aligned the bunt edge with the man's throat. In the same motion Reese leaned forwards and shifted his left leg behind the legs of his target. He needed only lean deeper into the motion to trip the man backwards and onto his rear. By the time he landed, Reese had disappeared with his bundle of knives, eight in total. Reese dipped, weaved, and flipped past the incoming targets. He instantly launched a knife at every opportunity he got. He slashed through soaring targets with his bowie knife as they passed him. A total of forty targets were down, twenty-nine were his. "Twenty-six to go!" Reese thought as he threw his left bowie knife. It hit a target mid-flight, the impact made it roll backwards before it fell outside the circle. "Twenty-five!" Reese corrected. Another two contestants had been disqualified, another had simply thrown all his knives already.

Reese proceeded to disarm another contestant, like the first, Reese overwhelmed him with a superior technical maneuver that landed the man in the path of an incoming target and landed Reese with five new knives and very soon after five more confirmed hits.

"That puts Reese at thirty-five hits, he needs twenty more to win, but there are only forty targets left and still three other contestants going strong!"

"It's time I ended this shit!" Reese proclaimed as he drew his pair of tanto blades from his back and knelt down.

"Oh my! I believe we're about to see a display of Reese's amazing agility coupled with his masterful knife skills, I urge you all not to blink or you'll surely miss it!" Viper with excessive excitement.

Reese took only a moment to observe the motion of the nearest surrounding targets. At his heightened speed and perception he could gauge the movements of the floating balls as if they were moving in slow-motion. All along the test for him had not been to hit the targets, but to do it quickly enough before the other contestants had a chance to disqualify him. They had a huge number advantage, but they had failed to realize that Reese only had sixteen knives on his person. If he threw them all (as was the most efficient way to rake up the points) he would still be thirty-nine knives short. That's where the other contestants came into play. From the beginning, Reese knew his success banked just as much on him disarming some of the other contestants as it did on him quickly hitting his quota of targets. "Viper, you snake bastard!" Reese shouted out to his mentor with a smirk.

"As usual Reese, you never cease to amaze. Now, how about you show us that special move?!"

"OSU!" Reese shouted as he propelled himself forwards. He took a single massive leap and seemed to glide over the surface like one of the targets himself. Three targets shot his way, all three were promptly sliced apart in a single slash. Reese would then launch himself forwards again in the opposite direction. It seemed that with each lunge he got faster and faster until he was only a gliding blur. Viper countered down the fallen targets with each strike as the remaining contestants stood stupefied by Reese's speed and accuracy. Until finally.

"And the winner is Reese Celestin with a total of sixty-eight hits!" Viper announced. The crowd burst with wild cheers and the supporting staff clapped for the winner as he stood triumphantly at the center of the arena as he had before. "One down, five more to go!" Reese declared proudly.

To Be Continued...

Rash ラシュ

View user profile